Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer, two MacArthur “genius grant” winners are touring promoting their new album (and not only that).
Mandolinist/composer Chris Thile, of Punch Brothers, and bassist/composer Edgar Meyer have teamed up again for a new album, Bass & Mandolin, released September 9th on Nonesuch Records. The album features 10 original compositions by the two MacArthur Fellows, who have been performing together sporadically for more than a decade. Past projects include the Grammy‐winning Goat Rodeo Sessions (2011), a recording of original compositions (2008, Nonesuch Records) and, most recently, Chris Thile’s 2013 solo recording, Bach: Sonatas and Partitas, Vol. 1, produced by Meyer.A concert review from Richmond Times Dispatch praises the two artists, as expected. In case you happen to be near these places at the right dates, you should not miss the opportunity!
Remaining concerts as of today:
- OCT 6, MON, University of Florida Performing Arts (Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer), Gainesville, FL
- OCT 8, WED, Carolina Theatre (Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer), Durham, NC
- OCT 9, THU, Richardson Auditorium (Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer), Princeton, NJ
- OCT 10, FRI, Troy Savings Bank Music Hall (Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer), Troy, NY
- OCT 11, SAT, Town Hall (Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer), New York, NY
- OCT 12, SUN, Celebrity Series of Boston (Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer), Cambridge, MA
- OCT 15, WED, Wisconsin Union Theater (Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer), Madison, WI
- OCT 16, THU, Michigan Theater (Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer), Ann Arbor, MI
- OCT 17, FRI, Symphony Center (Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer), Chicago, IL
Meyer and Thile lit into their music with precision and — better than precision — gusto. Save for a couple of “cover songs” by the eminently coverable Johann Sebastian Bach, the music was original, a Vitamix blend of bluegrass, classical, folk and jazz. It was showman’s music, full of sleights-of-hand and rabbits-in-hats